Healthy Recipe: Braised chicken with mushrooms and pearl onions
HEALTHY RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, about 3/4 pound total weight, each cut in half crosswise
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 pound small white button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 pound peeled pearl onions
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup port or dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
HEALTHY RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
In a shallow dish, stir together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour.
In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total.
Transfer to a platter.
Add the shallot to the pan and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and saute until they begin to pick up some brown color, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the stock and wine and deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and vegetables are tender, 45 to 50
minutes. Stir in the vinegar, the chopped thyme, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To serve, divide the vegetables among warmed shallow individual bowls. Top each portion with 2 pieces of chicken, 1 light meat and 1 dark. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve immediately.
all healthy recipe: baked-apples-with-cherries-and-almonds